Win a few games, watch the Islanders lose a few, beat them in the finale. Playoffs.
That’s the short version. Here’s the long one.
Replace one of the teams currently in top 8.
- NY Islanders (currently at 47 points, max out at 59, face Sabres on 4/26 to wrap up five game road trip)
- Jets (max out at 56, face Sabres on 4/22)
- Devils (max out at 54)
WHAT YOU’RE REALLY HOPING FOR:
Sabres, through a combination of wins and Islanders losses, get to a place where they trail Islanders by a point heading into season finale. Sabres (4 games left before finale) are in position to pass the Islanders (5 games left before finale) with a win if, between now and then:
- Sabres earn all 8 points and Islanders earn no more than 5
- Sabres earn 7 points and Islanders earn no more than 4
- Sabres earn 6 points and Islanders earn no more than 3
- Sabres earn 5 points and Islanders earn no more than 2
- Sabres earn 4 points and Islanders earn no more than 1
Also, you’ll want the Sabres to have overcome both the Jets and Devils in the process.
Traditionally, “magic number” pertains to clinching a playoff spot. For our purposes, magic number pertains to # of points needed to prevent Sabres from passing team in standings.
SABRES’ REMAINING SCHEDULE:
4/17 at Boston
4/19 NY Rangers
4/20 at Pittsburgh
4/26 NY Islanders
ISLANDERS’ REMAINING SCHEDULE:
4/18 at Toronto
4/20 at Winnipeg
4/23 at Carolina
4/25 at Philadelphia
4/26 at Buffalo
OTHER TARGETS TO BE ADDRESSED LATER, IF NECESSARY:
- NY Rangers