The Bills got blown out by the Patriots on Sunday. That kinda ruined my Sunday afternoon.
Now, it’s Wednesday. The 2-2 Bills have moved on and are preparing for a road game against the 3-1 Niners.
The “fans” have not.
I get it. You buy the tickets and the jerseys and pay $30 to park your car at the stadium. You get to say and do whatever you want. I’m not here to tell you how to think. If I don’t like what I’m hearing, I can tune you out. I can avoid Facebook and Twitter. I can unfollow or unfriend you. I can skip your blog posts. I can put down the newspaper. I can change the station.
But I don’t think I should have to.
Call me crazy (and you will) but I consider myself a Bills fan because I like the Bills. And while I’m not oblivious to the two blowout divisional losses that they’ve already suffered, here’s what I see.
- A 2-2 team in a division where no team has a better record than 2-2 (The Dolphins are actually worse!)
- A quarterback that leads the league in touchdown passes
- A (backup?) running back that led the league in rushing after Week 1, after Week 2, and likely would’ve led after Week 3 if not for an injury
- A defensive line that racked up 9 sacks over a two week period
- An offensive line that, in addition to piling up yards on the ground, kept opponents from getting to their quarterback for the first three games of the season
- A 53 man roster comprised primarily of likable, seemingly non-pretentious guys
Here’s what I expect to hear back.
- “… with two blowout divisional losses!”
- “… and a QB who has been intercepted seven times!”
- “… who cares about stats? It’s about winning! Oh, and stop the run while you’re at it!”
- “… and couldn’t get anywhere near the QB in the games that really matter!”
- “… so what? The QB keeps turning the ball over anyway!”
- “… I don’t need to like the players. You know what I like? Winning!”
These retorts have existed since Betsy Ross knitted the first football.
The thing is, they’re supposed to come from the PEOPLE ROOTING FOR THE OTHER TEAMS.
Do whatever you want.
I like the Bills. You’re not going to stop me.
I give them as good a chance beat San Francisco on Sunday as I gave the Cardinals of winning in Foxboro in Week 2.